Having a noisy air conditioner is a common problem that affects many aircon owners. The reason may be due to a singular internal issue or it can be as far-reaching as multiple faulty parts inside the system. But whatever the culprit is, people familiar with the problem can all relate to the loud, grating and clicking sound of a noisy aircon. In this article, we’ll discuss the different signs and reasons behind a loud aircon unit and what you can do to make a couple of quick fixes.
Common Signs and Reasons Behind a Noisy Air Conditioner
- Banging - Aircon units producing a loud and banging noise almost always have one thing in common: a loose or broken part. It can be a connecting rod gone astray, a piston pin going haywire or even a crankshaft on its last legs in the air conditioner compressor.
- Clanking - If an annoying clanking noise seems to be your aircon’s favorite sound, then it can signal a loose or out-of-balance part inside the system. These parts inside the unit most likely have failed or the compressor itself has gone loose. On the other hand, it can also because of fan blades going out of balance and hitting areas they’re not supposed to hit.
- Clicking - A slight and faint clicking sound when turning your aircon on or off might be normal, but it certainly isn’t when it continues to persist all throughout the day. This sound can be because of a defective control in the thermostat. If you happen to run into this issue, it’s best to call an aircon technician right away to perform a scheduled repair and maintenance.
- Buzzing - A loud buzzing noise in an air conditioner unit can make up a large list of possible problems. Some of these include loose parts, indoor and outdoor unit debris, faulty fan blades, dirty filter and condenser coil and leaking in the refrigerant. With the number of potential culprits that come with an aircon’s buzzing noise, it’s recommended to leave the matter in an aircon expert’s hands.
- Squealing - Squealing noises in an air conditioner can be due to the fact that the blower and fan are being transmitted through the duct system. When it comes to outdoor and indoor fan motors, a squealing noise usually means something is going awry. You can keep a lookout for these signs but having an AC expert come over to check and do the actual repair is recommended.
- Humming - Aircons are known to produce faint humming sounds whenever in use, but this doesn’t mean the unit is perfectly functioning all the time. Sometimes it can be because of a loose part or a refrigerant issue causing the vibration that produces the humming sound. There’s also a good chance that the sound is being produced by electrical noises.
- Rattling - If your aircon begins to produce a loud rattling noise, you need to have it checked as soon as possible. This is a clear sign that the machine is starting to wear down and its parts have started loosening up inside the system. Sometimes it can also be due to the fact that the fans have started hitting other parts. You can check for any of these by quickly checking the inside of the unit. Simply loosen the screws and bolts in the unit’s casing and check for any unusual activity inside.
- Screaming - A high-pitched screaming or whistling from an air conditioner can only mean one thing: a refrigerant leak. This is a very serious aircon issue that needs to be dealt with immediately as it can affect not only the machine but your family’s health. Simply turn off the machine and avoid using it until an aircon expert inspects the machine for issues.
How to Fix a Noisy Air Conditioner
- Check the fan for any damage or struck debris - To help you make any quick fixes on a noisy aircon, simply loosen the screws and bolts in the unit. Check any stuck debris such as branches, dust, stones and other particles and remove them using your hand.
- Check the blades for any signs of loose placement - Turn off the air conditioner and remove the unit’s casing. Check if any of the fan blades are awkwardly positioned. If you find that they are, don’t try tinkering with it yourself. It’s best to call an aircon technician to fix the problem for you.
- Contact an aircon servicing expert - In most cases, it’s always ideal and safe to let a trained aircon expert or a professional aircon servicing company do the fixes for you.
Say Goodbye to Noisy AC Units
If any of these air conditioner noises have been causing you trouble and distress, place a call or drop us a message here at Oasis Aircon. Our friendly and highly skilled team of air conditioning experts will do the job of repairing and maintaining any of your loud air conditioner compressor or unit, letting you sleep and work again on your tasks in complete peace.